Wednesday, September 30, 2009

But, I don't Wanna Go To Bed!

No matter how early, or late, we put our older two children to bed we hear this cry. It could be after midnight and they'd still say it. It is also always said just as the child is getting into their pj's. If we've let them stay up late and remind them of this, they insist that they did not stay up late enough and need to stay up later.

Our third child, on the other hand, often puts herself to bed early. She will decide she's tired, ask for her bear and head up and get into bed. This is also the child who rolls over and is instantly asleep. (Wish I could do that!)

Recently I've caught myself saying this same phrase to my husband. Why? I know I'm very tired. I know I have to get up early in the morning. I know I will need to deal with 4 children during the course of the day and all the miscellaneous stuff that goes with them. I know that I'm not actually being productive right now, but I do write better at night if I could rev up my intelligence. Again, Why? My only answer is, peace and quiet. I've even been staying up later than Matt. It's very peaceful with them all in bed. No one demanding anything, no noise. It's just me, doing whatever useless thing I want to do.

I felt guilty for a while that I was accomplishing nothing, for either my family or myself. Then I came across this quote by Max Lucado and it sums up what I've always believed, but couldn't put into words or convince certain people to believe.

"The next time the challenges 'outside' tempt you to shut the door and stay inside, stay long enough to get warm. Then get out."

No comments: