Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wedding Bells

Matt and I attended my cousin Dustin's wedding this afternoon. We had a good time. Matt's parents kept our kids for us, even putting them to bed, yeah! It was a nice wedding, if a bit unorganized. I was able to talk to cousins I see only a few times a year, who I'd like to see more often. Hopefully I'll start to do better contacting them.

It was strange to see my cousin get married. I still see him as that little boy, destroying his rented tux at another wedding. It is hard to remember that my life isn't the only life that's moved forward. It is also hard to realize how old everyone has gotten, since our family does not get together as often as it once did. I am blessed that we saw each other as much as we did while I was growing up, but feel saddened because my youngest cousins have missed out on some of that. As the older ones have gotten married and moved on, as my grandparents retired and moved away, finding time to get together like we used to grew harder and harder. I guess it happens with everyone, but I do miss it.

“To Be One With Each Other” by George Eliot

What greater thing is there for two human souls
than to feel that they are joined together to strengthen
each other in all labor, to minister to each other in all sorrow,
to share with each other in all gladness,
to be one with each other in the
silent unspoken memories?

I wish you lots of love and luck, Dustin and Brandie.

No comments: