Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Happy Birthday!

Today is Matt's 33rd birthday. 33 years ago today he was born in the same hospital I was, just four months later. It is interesting to see how often our lives came close to each other, but did not intertwine until after college. A short synopsis of those interactions.

July 4, 1976 - I was 3 months old and Matt was still a month away from being born. We were both at the Ithaca fireworks that night.

August 5, 1976 - Matt was born at Ithaca Hospital, same place I was.

September 1981 - We both attended Groton Kindergarten, with separate teachers. When I married Matt his teachers remembered him. (and his brother!)

September 1983 - We were in the same second grade class, but I don't remember him. He remembers all the other Matt's in our grade, and one little girl - Shannon Doa-Cute! This was his last year in Groton. His parents moved to McLean and transferred their children to Cortland Christian Academy

1980's - Sometime in this decade my Aunt and Uncle transferred their children to CCA, their oldest son became friends with Matt and his brother.

1990's - Went to watch one of my cousin's basketball games, which Matt played in. My Aunt tried to hook me up, with another one of the players...

- My oldest cousin graduated from CCA, Matt attended his graduation party. I still didn't notice him...

1996 - Matt transferred to Messiah college where I was attending. I would give him rides to and from school, every now and then. The first time I drove him home he spent the whole ride flirting with my sister's friend. My mother said to me, "Wouldn't it be funny if you married Matt Cobb?" I replied, "I'd never marry Matt Cobb, he's from home."

Fall 1998 - We both attended Homecoming weekend at Messiah. We ran into each other and talked some. Apparently he thought I was throwing myself at him, because he called me a few weeks later. The first night we got together I knew this was the man I was to marry. Funny how it took 22 years for us to connect.

Fall 1998-Spring 1999 - We spent a lot of time at his friends' apartment in McLean. He met my family fairly early on. I didn't meet his family till later.

March 1999 - After taking a cruise with a friend from college Matt returned home and asked me to marry him.

April 29, 2000 - We got married.

Present - Here we are, married, four kids, a house (no dog), still living in Central NY and I'm at peace with my life (but not always content)!

No comments: