Friday, October 2, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Once again it is raining where I live. This whole past year seems to have been filled with precipitation of some kind or another. I do not mind colder weather or even wet weather, but I despise monotony. I like my weather to change. I like the hot, I feel sick weather, and the it's so cold my nostrils are freezing together weather and everything in between. So, the weather is finally getting to me. We've had this same weather for a year now and I've had enough of it. Why doesn't someone else get the rain, I know they need it more than we do right now.

To cheer myself, and the kids, up, I've been listening to 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' sung by Ella Fitzgerald. I love her rendition of this classic song. I especially love the words at the beginning.

When all the world is a hopeless jumble
And the raindrops tumble all around,
Heaven opens a magic lane
When all the clouds darken up the skyway,
There's a rainbow highway to be found
Leading from your window pane
To a place behind the sun,
Just a step beyond the rain

-
E.Y. Harburg

Recently a friend's grandmother passed away. There was some sadness, but much rejoicing at her leaving us. While she has left us, she has gone on to a wonderful homecoming. Makes me a little jealous when I actually take the time to read the news and see what a mess our world has become. I can't wait till I take that step over from this world to Heaven. Listening and singing this song reminds me that someday, many of us will take that step to a place beyond the rain. It may be raining outside, but there is sunshine in my heart.

No comments: