Thursday, October 8, 2009

Do The Happy Dance!

The potty training of our two year old has been a struggle. When I potty trained my first born, I thought it would be easy. She was asking to use the potty at 1 1/2. At three she was not only not potty trained, she was refusing to use the potty. Bowing to the wise advice of "What to Expect The Toddler Years", I allowed her to potty train on her own schedule. But, as her third year went by and she said she liked wearing her diaper and she started to hide when she had to do her business, I thought I'd throw the book's advice out the window. It took a month of concentrated effort of taking her to the potty, sometimes kicking and screaming, every 2 hours before she caught on to the whole potty thing.

My son, second born, potty trained in 2 weeks. He was 2 1/2. I decided to wait with him b/c of all the difficulty with my first. One week he spent learning how to pee and poop on the potty, the next when he had to go. After the second week he just started to ask and was dry every time. Did I mention that my oldest had accidents at least weekly until she was 4? My son, I can count the number of accidents he had on one hand.

Now I'm on to the third child. I thought I had it all figured out. Started when she was 2 1/2. She could not seem to figure out how to go on the potty. We sat there for weeks on the potty while she figured it out. Finally, she figured it out. Yeah! Then started the easier task of getting her to hold it for longer than 15 minutes. That only took about a week.

We're going on 6 months here of me taking her to the potty every few hours or so. She very rarely fought me, she likes to use the potty b/c she can take her clothes off. Finally, this week she's figured out when she has to pee and will ask. She's been dry for 2 days straight!!! I know that doesn't mean she will be tomorrow, but she's finally figuring this whole thing out. Now, if she could only learn when she had to poop...

No comments: