Monday, July 27, 2009

Benson Vacations

Here I am on another Benson Vacation. Much has changed. We've added 2 husbands, and 1 wife, 5 granddaughters and 2 grandsons - the oldest is 5 and the youngest is 2 months. Thankfully the adults still out number the children. We each take turns making suppers and watching all the kids. One thing that has not changed is my parents ability to change the weather.

While growing up our vacations were often interrupted by inclement weather, aka major rainstorms or hurricanes. Never were we able to go on vacation without it raining at least once, if not the whole vacation. My parents have been places experiencing a months long drought. Then, while my parents are visiting, they will have record rainfall. I can recall numerous times we spent whole days at a mall or in a water logged tent waiting for the rain to end.

My husband did not believe the stories my siblings and I would tell him of the rain storms we survived on vacation with my parents. Two years ago we went on our first Benson family vacation. The summer had been beautiful that year. The week we went to Ocean City, NJ it rained 6 out of the 7 days. Matt couldn't believe it. The stories we had told him now took on new meaning.

This year, the summer in upstate NY has been the coldest on record, for the past 50 years. My family assumed that this would continue, since we were going on a Benson Vacation. Low and behold, summer has started this week. It rained once yesterday, and that's been it for the rain. We will keep a close eye on the weather, but will enjoy the sun while we have it.

Our new conclusion is that my parents have "Opposite Weather Ability." Thus they bring the opposite weather wherever they vacation.

No comments: