Sunday, January 10, 2010

Remembering Aunt Joyce

This afternoon I attended the funeral of one of my Grandmother's older sisters. I enjoyed seeing family I haven't seen in a very long time, some of whom I did not recognize! I also enjoyed listening to everyone speak of their memories of Aunt Joyce. I did not see my mother's extended family very often. I enjoyed the times we did see each other. One of my most prominent memories of getting together with my Grandmother's family was laughter. She and her sisters loved to laugh. It was fun to make them laugh as well.

Growing up they did not have an easy life. 5 girls - Audrey, Gloria, Joyce, Sidney, Janice (my grandmother), 1 boy - Reginald. Their Mom died of cancer at age 33, leaving three young children and a husband who was in the military. Their Grandmother raised them. They all spoke very highly of her. Life was still difficult for them. Reginald died in his early teens from a seizure. Despite not always being together, the 5 girls kept in touch. Audrey died when I was very young. Gloria when I was a teenager. Now Joyce.

Their lives were not always easy. But, they kept on laughing. That is what I will always remember about Aunt Joyce.

(I last saw Aunt Joyce at the Ladies Tea hosted by Grace Fellowship Church. That's a story for another day.)

No comments: