Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Cold, Wet Butt

(What a title! But it's true)

Before Christmas I was able to attend a Ladies Christmas Tea, hosted by Grace Fellowship Church, held at Tinelli's Hathaway house. (Our wedding reception was held there. Very beautiful and excellent service and food) The speaker, who happens to be my mother's cousin, Kathy ended up with an extra ticket. She kindly thought of me.

On the night of the tea I met my Grandmother, and her sisters Sidney and Joyce, and we headed off to Tinelli's, which is out in the middle of nowhere, think one or two houses in sight and a 20 minute drive to the nearest "town". As always with my Grandmother's family, we spent a lot of time laughing and making sure Aunt Sidney knew where she was going in the dark.

The evening was wonderful. The music beautiful, skit funny, speaker excellent as always, and the food decadent - chocolate fondant, bread pudding with black berries and oranges, and a carrot cake with pears! It was a nice evening out with family.

The end came, as all endings will - too soon. We gathered out coats and gloves, this is Christmas in Central NY after all. It had been raining the whole time we were at the tea. Aunt Sidney went to get her car and we waited, talking with other family members who were there and friends.

I helped Grandma and Aunt Joyce down the stairs and then got in the car myself. The seat was a little cold, but I figured it would warm up quickly. In only a few moments I noticed that my pants were a little wet. I thought it was b/c I had kept the door open for a few seconds before getting in. My pants proceeded to become wetter and wetter, and my underwear was also starting to feel a bit damp.

I reached my hand under my butt and low and behold the seat was not just damp, but sopping wet! My Grandmother's seat, on the passenger side of the car, was also damp, so was the middle. After trying to figure out where I could sit that would save me from becoming wetter, which there was none, and discussing how the seat could have gotten so wet with the door "closed", I finally decided to sit in the wet seat and have a very wet, very cold, butt.

My Grandmother and her sisters had a great time on the way home about me and my wet butt. I made it home and quickly went upstairs to change. Where upon my husband thought I had had a terrible time, since I rushed upstairs and didn't say anything to him.

No comments: