Thursday, May 27, 2010

20 Weeks to a Book - Week 2

(If you'll note the calendar, this should be week three. I had a brain lapse and forgot to read my chapter last week. We'll just continue on as if nothing happened.)

Writer's Groups

This week Maeve encourages the writer to join a writing group. In a Writer's Group you can learn from others mistakes, sharpen your skills, speak with people who do not think you are crazy, and be kept accountable. Maeve does warn that Writer's Groups can also be discouraging and devolve into gossip sessions. Still, she thinks they are worth the effort to find and be involved in a Writer's Group.

I have tried to be involved in a local Writer's Group, unsuccessfully. I did learn a lot and enjoy the other writings. There were many difficulties with this group. None wrote in the same genre as did I. Which shouldn't be a problem, but they had a difficult time grasping my stories. Fantasies of talking dust bunnies and habitable planets other than Earth eluded them. While their comments on my grammar and word usage were helpful, their overall critiques of the story were mean and nasty. While they were encouraging to the other members, they ripped my stories apart as being unclear and nonsense. I also ran into the fact that none of them were looking to be published. They just wanted to write and meet together with other writers and have their words read and praised.

Maybe I'll find another Writer's Group that will be more helpful, but for now I'll write alone. I still need someone to keep me accountable with my writing though, so if anyone wants to help, let me know!

2 comments:

Harold H Comings said...

I certainly appreciate the time you take to look over what I'm writing. Is there anything I can do to help with YOUR project?

Juli said...

Pastor - I feel like I am getting the better end of the deal with reading yours, and Andrew's, stories! They are both wonderful reads. I enjoy reading them and offering you what help I can. Thank you for sharing your work with me. Once I've finished the first edit, I was hoping I could ask you to read through it for your opinion and thoughts. Not sure when that will be, so you will have time to prepare yourself!