Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Deep thoughts, brought on by Max Lucado

I'm working through Max Lucado's study on "Experiencing the Words of Jesus". It's very insightful and thought provoking, as well as inspiring to action! This past week one of the studies jumped out at me. I love the "That's interesting, I wonder" moments I often get while studying the Bible. I get them often. What is rare, for me, is to have a "blow my socks off, knock me on my rear" moments. I enjoy those too, but they often come with a price - an action required on my part.

This time it was on service. I know the whole we are servants to each other and performing service for God. Been there, done that. Max looked at Jesus, washing the disciples feet, just hours before he was crucified.

Point 1 - He knew he was going to die and how he was going to die and everything that entails. I certainly wouldn't have been washing someone else's feet at that point in time. I'd probably be worriedly focused on what was to come and how to get through it. Jesus didn't, instead he chose to take on the role of the lowest of the low servant and wash his disciples feet. The amount of love he had for them, to be able to focus on them and not himself.

Point 2 - He washed Judas' feet. The Judas, who was going to betray Him in a matter of hours! Jesus knew what Judas was going to do. He knew that Judas had sold his life for 20 pieces of silver. And yet, Jesus washed his feet with the same love he showed the other 11 disciples. That just blew me away! First, it showed how much God loves the "unlovable" and unworthy, namely me. Second, this was Jesus' example of how we are to treat all other people. He didn't even have to grit His teeth when he touched Judas' feet. He had such love for Judas, and it shows, even knowing what he knew.

Now comes the struggle. I've seen the example. Been blown away by the implications. Next step, implementing. This will be the hard part. This kind of service does not come naturally for me, especially when it involves people I actively don't like or I know don't like me. It's one thing to serve my family, who I love. To serve strangers. But, it's a whole 'nother ball game to serve someone I know is "bad" or mean to me or has betrayed me, etc. etc.

What am I going to do? I'm going to pray, a lot. That God will fill me with this kind of love, b/c it's going to have to come from Him, since I don't posses even the ability to love like this. That God will bring opportunities to me to show this kind of love, hopefully in small increments. That I'll recognize the opportunity when it comes, what needs to be done, and that I will show it with the same grace as Jesus and not gritting my teeth.

No comments: