Monday, August 2, 2010

20 Weeks to a Book - Week 8

It seems every time I post a new week, it's actually been more than 1 week. I've had a busy couple of weeks. Went to OH and KY with just my husband. It's been awhile since we spent that much time together, just the two of us, so it was a trial at times, but worth it! Then I spent the last week at the Montrose Christian Writer's Conference! What a great time. Saw old friends, made new friends, grew, renewed, and learned a ton! Thanks especially to Bryan Davis and Ginger Kolbaba! Both gave great critiques, gentle yet honest. I have a lot of work to do, but I've made some short term goals that will help me along the way. I also was able to write a ton, not having any kids or responsibilities can help with that. On to week 8!

"The Writer's Journey" - A short chapter, but filled with little tidbits of advice. Maeve speaks of writing as a journey, as made obvious by the title. During this journey you discover things about yourself you never knew, solidify ideas and concepts you've had, and actually become different people by the end. She gives a warning: "If you don't [finish] then it's no journey at all, just a series of stops and starts and eventual disappointments." Maeve encourages us to keep going, to finish what we've started. Otherwise, it's just been a waste of time. And just think, someday you'll be able to say to all those people, "Of course I finished it."

Keep on writing, I plan to!

2 comments:

Ben Bacheller said...

Can't wait for your book! Maybe we'll get a draft copy? :-)

Juli said...

I can't wait for it either! Someday. It's slow going with the kids, but it's moving forward. I'll have to send you a copy, when it's finally finished!